I had a very busy day yesterday. I literally went from one thing to the next. I woke up and got the kids dressed on my own and fed and out the door to church (oh and I got a shower and ate too). I worked the nursery at church and then gave a presentation about the millennium development goals. I came home and fed the children again, changed one AGAIN (goodness), got them to sleep, ate some food, spent some time with a friend who is newly in love, responded to some emails, picked up the house, did some dishes, packed up dinner since we were eating on the run, went to a party, came home, put the children to bed, greeted the babysitter, went to a concert and then out for drinks.
Today was the busiest day I’ve had in over two years and although I preach (probably to the point of boredom) about the values of slowing down, keeping things simple and enjoying life at a child’s pace I positively loved today. I had zero moments of mind-numbing boredom while feeding Naomi food that she spits or grabs or smears in my hair. I didn’t have to play any games over and over and over and over again. I wore a matching outfit that wasn't a t-shirt all day. It was clean for most of the day too.
I had adults to talk to all day. When I woke up in the middle of the night I thought of my kids. How sweet and tender Eliot is. How he takes his time with so many things. How he ran down the driveway at the party and fell on his face. How Naomi seems to know how to wave. How she smiles so much. How her newest little tooth is growing. I loved, or so it seemed at 3:30 am, every single ounce of their little, tiny beings. I loved everything I know and don’t know about them.
I couldn’t wait to get up and play with them today.
I love that feeling and want more of it.
Today I got a babysitter so I could get some work done. I worked at an insanely fast pace for 2 and a half hours trying to get as much done as possible. Then I came downstairs for lunch and forgot that no matter how quickly I get lunch on the table Eliot won't eat it any faster - or how fast I get the food into Naomi's mouth she'll still need more. I ran around for a half hour like a crazy woman and then realized both kids were acting out and feeling crazy and I had to slow down and chill out.
Someday. Somehow. I have faith. I'll find balance.
Please. Please. Please. Please let it be soon.
Today was the busiest day I’ve had in over two years and although I preach (probably to the point of boredom) about the values of slowing down, keeping things simple and enjoying life at a child’s pace I positively loved today. I had zero moments of mind-numbing boredom while feeding Naomi food that she spits or grabs or smears in my hair. I didn’t have to play any games over and over and over and over again. I wore a matching outfit that wasn't a t-shirt all day. It was clean for most of the day too.
I had adults to talk to all day. When I woke up in the middle of the night I thought of my kids. How sweet and tender Eliot is. How he takes his time with so many things. How he ran down the driveway at the party and fell on his face. How Naomi seems to know how to wave. How she smiles so much. How her newest little tooth is growing. I loved, or so it seemed at 3:30 am, every single ounce of their little, tiny beings. I loved everything I know and don’t know about them.
I couldn’t wait to get up and play with them today.
I love that feeling and want more of it.
Today I got a babysitter so I could get some work done. I worked at an insanely fast pace for 2 and a half hours trying to get as much done as possible. Then I came downstairs for lunch and forgot that no matter how quickly I get lunch on the table Eliot won't eat it any faster - or how fast I get the food into Naomi's mouth she'll still need more. I ran around for a half hour like a crazy woman and then realized both kids were acting out and feeling crazy and I had to slow down and chill out.
Someday. Somehow. I have faith. I'll find balance.
Please. Please. Please. Please let it be soon.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home