3.24.2007

God Love...

It seems like Eliot is really trying to figure out this God character lately. Sometimes when we're saying our 'bless yous' at night he'll pull God into the whole thing. Crazy. I know.

Tonight I said, "I love you Eliot." He said, "God love Eliot." Then he said, "God love Naomi." Then he said, "God love babies." Then he said, "God love cookies." Then he said, "God eat cookies. Cookies go in tummy."

I found myself starting to say that God loves cookies and they go in HIS stomach and I stopped. I'm super aware that Eliot is in an insanely impressionable place. Why limit God to a man. Hell. Why limit God to being a woman.

In the end I think maybe I shouldn't have said yes to the idea that God has a tummy. I mean why limit God to something that has to actually chew a cookie and digest it. Why not let God be something that experiences a cookie in its fully essence in unimaginably fabulous ways.

I'm convinced that when kids are really little they just get God. God is everywhere and everything and they just get it. Completely. I've heard when kids get to be Eliot's age things change a bit and I think I'm watching that.

God is still all over in a lot of ways. When I said cookies do go in God's tummy Eliot started naming off other things that have tummies. As if he was asking. Interestingly he included the dark.

The dark has a tummy. I suppose when you learn that some all encompassing entity that adults call God has a tummy the dark might as well too.

After we talked about what has a tummy Eliot said, "God love baby Eliot." I couldn't tell if it was a question or a statement. I said something like God loves baby Eliot and big kid Eliot and little kid Eliot. God loves Eliot no matter who Eliot is. God loves Eliot no matter what Eliot does.

Eliot got a huge smile on his face when I said that. A huge smile. I cried.

Eliot said, "God love Eliot eat Cheerios." I laughed.

4 Comments:

Blogger dawn224 said...

God liking cookies fits nicely into my idea of God as Ralph Kramden :)

25/3/07 1:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It would seem that Eliot is in close contact with his guardian angels. His eyes and intuition are so much clearer than us crazy old adults! There is good energy supporting him. He is truly loved! G & G K.

25/3/07 8:20 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

I really like your why limit God thoughts. I struggle with the tension between responding to kids' needs for concrete terms and the importance I sense in not limiting the concept of God.

26/3/07 12:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I always figured God like to laugh and would probably like milk and cookies...probably likes cheerios for a snack too.

28/3/07 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats