1.13.2007

McDonald's


Eliot just whined for 30 minutes (at least 30 minutes that is) saying he wants to ride in the car and togo to McDonald's. If we get in the car and go to McDonald's they won't have what he wants (french fries) and I can't stand the idea of feeding him McDonald's anyway. Its also 3 degrees outside and his warmest clothes got full of pee yesterday. I don't think I can get both kids in their winter gear out to the car since he won't walk very far. So blah blah blah blah the answer to going to McDonald's is no.

He has never whined this long about anything. I've been lucky enough never to deal with this kind of thing. I just tried everything - whining back, saying no, saying no loudly, saying we could go later, distracting, distracting, distracting, ignoring, mirroring. Finally I said, 'Eliot, I'm choosing to ignore you right now. I just don't know what else to do.' I picked up the phone to call a friend and get advice and he laid down on the floor right where he was with his blanket.

I feel weirdly horrible. Horrible. Like I should pack the kids into the car (after carrying both of them out there in the bitter cold) and take them to McDonald's. Goodness. I sooooooooo see how parents of sick kids end up spoiling the hell out of them. This is one thing I could do for him. One tangible thing I could do that I know would bring a smile to his face. Fuck.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Call a friend for take out. McDonald's french fries are yummy if bad for you to eat all the time. You are not a bad mommy - not taking them out to be exposed to cold and germs is a wise move. Maybe Ronald McDonald can do delivery!!

13/1/07 2:19 PM  
Blogger wildknits said...

AS for telling him you are going to ignore the whining - it really is okay to do that. REally it is. Feels weird, but sometimes to walk away - wspecially when you have told the person why in a reasonable tone of voice, is the only thing you can do. sounds like it worked to disengage fromt he conversation too :->

You are doing the best that you can (and way better than I could have coped!). hang in there.

13/1/07 3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankfully kids don't remember every last thing we did or said. I remember with guilt the times I threw up my hands in anger, fatigue and frustration and burst into tears right in front of my kids. somehow they seem to have "grown up OK"
a closet nosepicker

13/1/07 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats