Naomi
I'm always at a loss when it comes to trying to use words to talk about Naomi. Using words to talk about her feels like I'm filing her somewhere and trying to file her turns out to be too slippery for me. And that is a good thing.
Today she was eating (yes, that's what we'll call it) her lunch out on the front step along with Eliot and I.
We had two picnics out there today - the second of which included Gramma and Grampa Kramer and me walking away with more apple sauce on my pants than I think I've ever eaten in one sitting - and on a day when my clothes were clean and matching and cute.
Anyway... she was eating her lunch with a 'big person' fork out of the kitchen drawer rather than a plastic kids fork. The fork was easily longer than her forearm. Still she was giving it her best try. I noticed that most of her food wasn't making it to her mouth so I picked some up and put it near her mouth. She took it out of my hand with hers and looked at it and threw it (not tossed, THREW) it on her plate and then proceeded to attempt to spear her little, tiny, baby Naomi pieces of food with her big, gigantic, adult-sized fork.
That's Naomi. At least thats a little corner of Naomi.
She is wearing clothes that say 'nine months' on the tag even tho she is 14 months old. She is doing things that the child development books have classified under 18 months and 2 years. She wants to sit on the adult furniture, she wants to walk (oh horror of horrors) down the steps (like an adult), she wants to cook, she wants to do dishes, she can put her own lid on her own glass thank you very much.
I love her complete and utter lack of common sense, her disregard for rules, her slobbiness, her extreme self-discipline when it comes to learning things she really 'can't' do. There are times when I wonder if I'm too easy on her, times when I imagine I'll be too hard on her, times I hope I'm finding the balance between bossy and kind.
I have no interest in having a bratty child - or 'one of THOSE' children. I'm also not interested in breaking her little spirit. Somewhere. Somewhere. Somewhere under this mountain of apple sauce is a nice balanced place.
Today she was eating (yes, that's what we'll call it) her lunch out on the front step along with Eliot and I.
We had two picnics out there today - the second of which included Gramma and Grampa Kramer and me walking away with more apple sauce on my pants than I think I've ever eaten in one sitting - and on a day when my clothes were clean and matching and cute.
Anyway... she was eating her lunch with a 'big person' fork out of the kitchen drawer rather than a plastic kids fork. The fork was easily longer than her forearm. Still she was giving it her best try. I noticed that most of her food wasn't making it to her mouth so I picked some up and put it near her mouth. She took it out of my hand with hers and looked at it and threw it (not tossed, THREW) it on her plate and then proceeded to attempt to spear her little, tiny, baby Naomi pieces of food with her big, gigantic, adult-sized fork.
That's Naomi. At least thats a little corner of Naomi.
She is wearing clothes that say 'nine months' on the tag even tho she is 14 months old. She is doing things that the child development books have classified under 18 months and 2 years. She wants to sit on the adult furniture, she wants to walk (oh horror of horrors) down the steps (like an adult), she wants to cook, she wants to do dishes, she can put her own lid on her own glass thank you very much.
I love her complete and utter lack of common sense, her disregard for rules, her slobbiness, her extreme self-discipline when it comes to learning things she really 'can't' do. There are times when I wonder if I'm too easy on her, times when I imagine I'll be too hard on her, times I hope I'm finding the balance between bossy and kind.
I have no interest in having a bratty child - or 'one of THOSE' children. I'm also not interested in breaking her little spirit. Somewhere. Somewhere. Somewhere under this mountain of apple sauce is a nice balanced place.

4 Comments:
Reading this, I am even more eager to see Patrick's personality grow. I love how she threw her food back onto her plate. BTW: Patrick is 7.5 months old and still fits into a lot of the clothes with tags that say 3-6 months (I love how you put that) and many of the 6-9 month clothes are too big.
my spirit is still intact after high school and college tried to beat it out of me. i think naomi is going to be strong and keep her spirit.
I love this part:
"Using words to talk about her feels like I'm filing her somewhere and trying to file her turns out to be too slippery for me."
You are awesome, Sara.
my parents didn't know what to do with me, either.
Post a Comment
<< Home