Prayers
6 months before Eliot was born. 6 months. Exactly. To the day. A little baby was born in Duluth. His parents Michael and Cara (Kara?) are a couple that Aron married and they went to St. Paul's in Duluth.
I was pregnant at the time and knew Eliot was due in about 6 months.
But then magically 6 months later Eliot was born. To the day.
The other baby's name is Ethan and Eliot's name is, well, Eliot and at the time I thought it was so cool.
Two boys. 6 months apart. Both with names that start with E. Both 5 letters.
Yes. The Mayor of Nerd Town. Nice to meet you.
Naomi was born 18 months later. On January 18. Almost exactly on Ethan's 2nd birthday.
All very cool.
We've stayed in some contact with Michael and seen pictures of Ethan but haven't really seen him until this morning.
Michael and Ethan came over this morning.
The first thing Ethan said to me was that Eliot was sick but he got better because they prayed for him.
Ethan and Michael used to pray every night for Eliot.
Every night.
Even though Ethan didn't really know who in the world Eliot was. He prayed.
Eliot has now been replaced on their prayer list by a little girl named London. She is 4 weeks old and weighs 5 pounds and has already had open heart surgery.
Isn't that fantastic.
Eliot has been replaced on a prayer list.
Pause.
He has been replaced.
Deep breath.
He has been removed from a prayer list.
+++
Prayer lists have been on my mind this weekend.
It hit me at a meeting I was at on Thursday that churches, literally all over the world, prayed and might still be praying for Eliot.
Just months before his diagnosis I was at The General Convention of the Episcopal Church and met people from Italy and other countries around Europe. And I met people from all over the country.
There is a well read list serve associated with General Convention and when Eliot was diagnosed it was announced on that list serve.
So many of our friends on that list and from all parts of our lives prayed for Eliot.
He was prayed for at the National Cathedral in Washington DC and at the chapel at the Episcopal Church offices. And at large and small churches from all denominations and religions all around our city and state and country and world.
I have gone to some of those places and wish I'd kept better track of all of those places.
And now I'm aware he is off one of those lists.
Because they prayed for him. And he got better.
And so many of them don't know Eliot, might never know Eliot.
But they pray.
For our little boy. With pin prick holes in his chest and the base of his spine. Our little boy with a port in his chest.
For our little boy.
Who loves trains and claims to love the colors black and white more than the rest. But I think really loves pink more than the rest.
For our little boy.
Who runs faster than any kid I've ever seen run.
Who can throw a ball with crazy good accuracy.
Who is kind to his sister most of the time.
Who made a balsa wood airplane model yesterday and followed the directions with impeccable accuracy.
They prayed. Ethan prayed. Many still pray.
And pray.
And pray.
I was pregnant at the time and knew Eliot was due in about 6 months.
But then magically 6 months later Eliot was born. To the day.
The other baby's name is Ethan and Eliot's name is, well, Eliot and at the time I thought it was so cool.
Two boys. 6 months apart. Both with names that start with E. Both 5 letters.
Yes. The Mayor of Nerd Town. Nice to meet you.
Naomi was born 18 months later. On January 18. Almost exactly on Ethan's 2nd birthday.
All very cool.
We've stayed in some contact with Michael and seen pictures of Ethan but haven't really seen him until this morning.
Michael and Ethan came over this morning.
The first thing Ethan said to me was that Eliot was sick but he got better because they prayed for him.
Ethan and Michael used to pray every night for Eliot.
Every night.
Even though Ethan didn't really know who in the world Eliot was. He prayed.
Eliot has now been replaced on their prayer list by a little girl named London. She is 4 weeks old and weighs 5 pounds and has already had open heart surgery.
Isn't that fantastic.
Eliot has been replaced on a prayer list.
Pause.
He has been replaced.
Deep breath.
He has been removed from a prayer list.
+++
Prayer lists have been on my mind this weekend.
It hit me at a meeting I was at on Thursday that churches, literally all over the world, prayed and might still be praying for Eliot.
Just months before his diagnosis I was at The General Convention of the Episcopal Church and met people from Italy and other countries around Europe. And I met people from all over the country.
There is a well read list serve associated with General Convention and when Eliot was diagnosed it was announced on that list serve.
So many of our friends on that list and from all parts of our lives prayed for Eliot.
He was prayed for at the National Cathedral in Washington DC and at the chapel at the Episcopal Church offices. And at large and small churches from all denominations and religions all around our city and state and country and world.
I have gone to some of those places and wish I'd kept better track of all of those places.
And now I'm aware he is off one of those lists.
Because they prayed for him. And he got better.
And so many of them don't know Eliot, might never know Eliot.
But they pray.
For our little boy. With pin prick holes in his chest and the base of his spine. Our little boy with a port in his chest.
For our little boy.
Who loves trains and claims to love the colors black and white more than the rest. But I think really loves pink more than the rest.
For our little boy.
Who runs faster than any kid I've ever seen run.
Who can throw a ball with crazy good accuracy.
Who is kind to his sister most of the time.
Who made a balsa wood airplane model yesterday and followed the directions with impeccable accuracy.
They prayed. Ethan prayed. Many still pray.
And pray.
And pray.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home