Elbow Rainbow
This morning Eliot pointed out my elbow and said 'elbow' (bow) and then we looked for his too - his is hard for him to find - it keeps disappearing and hiding around corners of his arm.
Then we went in the hallway and this wonderful prism Naomi's God-mommie Betsy gave her was making a rainbow on the floor. He saw it and then crouched down to see the rainbow 'bow' and stood between the prism and the floor and the rainbow disappeared. So he got up to find it and it returned, then crouched down to get a better look and it disappeared, and then stood up to look for it and it returned and then crouched down, and stood up and crouched down...you get the picture. I showed him how he could sit next to it and put his hand over it and it would be on his hand. I don't think I have the power to explain watching him figure it out. Then I picked up the prism and there were little lights all over the upstairs hall - the look on his face was so thrilled and shocked. He ran around laughing and squealing. It was like watching a cat chase a laser beam but it wasn't the kind of thing where you're thinking how funny it is that the cat is so dumb. It was like seeing a kid who doesn't think its impossible or frustrating to figure out how to catch a rainbow.
Then we went in the hallway and this wonderful prism Naomi's God-mommie Betsy gave her was making a rainbow on the floor. He saw it and then crouched down to see the rainbow 'bow' and stood between the prism and the floor and the rainbow disappeared. So he got up to find it and it returned, then crouched down to get a better look and it disappeared, and then stood up to look for it and it returned and then crouched down, and stood up and crouched down...you get the picture. I showed him how he could sit next to it and put his hand over it and it would be on his hand. I don't think I have the power to explain watching him figure it out. Then I picked up the prism and there were little lights all over the upstairs hall - the look on his face was so thrilled and shocked. He ran around laughing and squealing. It was like watching a cat chase a laser beam but it wasn't the kind of thing where you're thinking how funny it is that the cat is so dumb. It was like seeing a kid who doesn't think its impossible or frustrating to figure out how to catch a rainbow.

3 Comments:
Oh my word! This is just so wonderful. He's a scientist!
Could I come to your next staff meeting and ask Eliot how to enjoy catching a rainbow? I forgot how to enjoy it along the way.
You sure can come to the next staff meeting - I think there is one schedule for Saturday when you're around. Sadly, Naomi has to miss it tho:)
Post a Comment
<< Home