6.18.2006

Everything Changed Today

Today on Naomi's 5 month birthday the Episcopal Church elected the very first female primate in Anglican Church History. We were there! I'm stunned that now - something I never really imagined could happen (I so didn't imagine it that I stepped out for the afternoon and had RC our alternate at the table) - my children will not have a concept of a world in which a woman can't be a leader. Right now everything seems possible to me. We can include gay people fully in the church. We can grow and prosper and more and more people will become Episcopalian and proud of it. We can put our energy on the Millennium Development Goals. My kids won't know a world where women aren't Presiding Bishops - and women aren't talked about as potential Presidential candidates. In their world women do these wild things.

I've been kicking myself all day for not being there and not getting to actually put my name on the paper that says I think its a good thing to have a Presiding Bishop. It was a last second decision to not be on the floor and instead in the alternates section (and really out walking around in the exhibit hall with Rosa Lee) and in some way I think this is a message to me to be patient and have hope and stick with things. I just thought we'd elect some guy who would be no big deal and decided doing something else would be a lot more fun.

Here on Naomi's five month birthday the whole world changed. Everything changed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Happy Birthday Naomi! I think this means great things in her life. That a woman was elected ON Naomi's birthday. Naomi is going to do wild things!

This is a great picture of you two. Cute sweater. :)

19/6/06 6:19 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

It is cute isn't it! I borrowed from this awesome, beautiful, pregnant woman.

19/6/06 6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats