6.16.2006

I've been Touched By Greatness

I think Bishop V. Gene Robinson wouldn't like to hear me say this and still I have to say how super insanely excited I am. I testified this morning about the resolution calling for child care at General Convention and it turns out Bishop Robinson is the chair of the committee. So I got testify and speak to him and the other members of the committee of course. I'm sure he said more than this to me but I can quote him saying "nice prop!" to me about Naomi. It was funny. He is a funny and humble man who is smart and wise. He pointed out that if the Church can spend all of this money on General Convention there is no reason there shouldn't be money that can be spent to allow parents to be deputies and feel confident that their children are being well cared for. This all feels real to me in a way now. I testified. I talked to Gene Robinson. I'll probably get to see this resolution on the floor of the House of Deputies. Wow! If nothing else I do changes anything - I think this will. And get this - the woman who filed the resolution to have child care at convention doesn't even have children of her own! She just saw me and I assume other parents around and thought something should be done about it. Pretty cool if you ask me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

that's so cool!

Another member of our family was touched by greatness last weekend. Kathy and Don went to a wedding where there were some notable guests - Steve Jobs, Crosby (of Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young), Nancy Pelosi, and Clint Eastwood. Kathy walked up to Clint Eastwood and said, "You look awfully familiar. Do I know you?" He laughed and patted her on the head.

17/6/06 6:57 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh my goodness Kathy is hilarious! I just heard a story the other night of a Bishop of Vermont - who is know here in Minnesota as the suffragan Bishop which from what I can tell means 'assistant' Bishop but the church always has to have another name for it...anyway - he was at the Lambeth Conference some years ago and a Bishop walked in and was meeting people and people were saying hi to him - when he got to the Bishop from Vermont/Minnesota our guy said 'have we met?' Hilariously the other Bishop was Bishop Desmond Tutu. I love humor in the face of celebrity.

17/6/06 7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats