A Picture
Yesterday the kids and I went to the park and Eliot was finally intrigued by the wading pool there (I've been excited about taking him to play in the wading pool since before we bought the house last year and he hasn't been interested until yesterday). He got so intrigued by it that he put his feet in - and then decided to step in and I got all excited and broke the rules and let him play in there in his shorts and shirt and regular diaper which sucked up about 1 gallon of water.
At one point he climbed out of the pool and start running around and I saw his little wet foot prints on the cement in a curve as he ran away from the pool and then toward it again. His little 3 inch foot prints started off all wet and splashy and then faded off.
I asked myself at that moment if I'd remember this when he is bigger. If I'd remember how fun it was to play in a pool with my kid for the very first time. If I'd remember how little his little feet are. If I'd remember the fun look on his face as he ran around. If I'd remember his cute little kid voice.
I guess the fact is I have no idea if I'll remember that or any number of other things. Who knows how many things in his life I thought I'd remember that I've already forgotten. When Naomi showed up so many things surprised me and continue to surprise me even tho I supposedly just did them a year and a half ago.
At one point he climbed out of the pool and start running around and I saw his little wet foot prints on the cement in a curve as he ran away from the pool and then toward it again. His little 3 inch foot prints started off all wet and splashy and then faded off.
I asked myself at that moment if I'd remember this when he is bigger. If I'd remember how fun it was to play in a pool with my kid for the very first time. If I'd remember how little his little feet are. If I'd remember the fun look on his face as he ran around. If I'd remember his cute little kid voice.
I guess the fact is I have no idea if I'll remember that or any number of other things. Who knows how many things in his life I thought I'd remember that I've already forgotten. When Naomi showed up so many things surprised me and continue to surprise me even tho I supposedly just did them a year and a half ago.

3 Comments:
i hope writing about it will help you remember. i'll help too.
No running!
"I got scared."
Want to do it agian?
"Yeah!"
"I think my brother is sick."
Ugh, I just puked out pool-story references. I think that's probably a chronic illness.
hahahaha that is hilarious em - i forgot the 'i think my brother is sick one' not that i forgot the kid puking in the doorway - just the preface - i forgot that wonderful preface
Post a Comment
<< Home