10.22.2006

I'm Starting a Fast - A Post Probably More for Me than You

I'm declaring my own personal fast from thinking about myself as and talking about myself as a bad mother. No more of that. I'm not a bad mother. I'm not even close to a bad mother. Sometimes I do things that aren't awesome like today (and its only 1pm) I took my kids to McDonald's for lunch, and I drank a Coke even tho I'm nursing Naomi (and drink Coke's all the time and did while I was pregnant), I said "name of the Lord in vain dammit Eliot sit still I need to get you in your car seat fast" to Eliot this morning, I forced Naomi to skip her morning nap, I didn't catch every single runny nose today, I let my son drink wine, I didn't shower before leaving the house, Naomi was barefoot half the morning and its 20 degrees outside and that's what I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure if I tried really hard I could find lots of other ways in which I'm a bad mom. Oh yeah. I used disposable diapers and wipes. I didn't sleep in bed with my kids. I took them out in public with runny noses. Anyway. The point is not how I'm a bad mom. Its that I'm not a bad mom. I did plenty of things today that good moms do. I took my kids to church (where they drank wine and had runny noses, missed their morning nap and went barefoot). I got my kids safely into their car seats (and I did it quickly because there were 5 belligerent drunk people in the parking lot). I sat and laughed over lunch and had a really fun time. I found it within myself to be genuinely pleasant and patient with my kids even with a mere 3 hours of sleep.

I'm mostly a good mom and at the very least a mediocre mom. C's get degrees is my new mantra. Mediocre mama is good enough for me. Mediocre mama is good enough for me. Mediocre mama is good enough for me 'cause Mediocre mama starts with M (sing it with me to the tune of C is for cookie by Cookie Monster). Mediocre mama is good enough....

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about some other "M" words, like marvelous, magnificent, magical, multi-taskable...,majestic,merry,maternal,melodious,memorable,merciful,miraculous,motherly,mega-hot mama, and, of course...manic!

Again...welcome to motherhood - the toughest job you will EVER have but the MOST rewarding! Like a chronic condition, it will be with you for life - so don't beat yourself up too much, 'cuz your "sisters" (universally) greet you with a hardy "Here, here! - take your time out!" As you learned, kids are resilient and ever so loving. Thanks be to God! :)

22/10/06 3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told my dad's girlfriend to shut up while on the phone with her during the homily) standing on the steps of church 2 weeks ago - and then realized there were lots of doors open and it was possible my voice carried inside. I drank a whole Dr. Pepper today and ate chips and cheese and am getting ready to eat a meal with hydrogenated ingredients, AND I didn't take any vitamins for 3 days. Can I join your M song sisterhood?

Dawn

22/10/06 6:30 PM  
Blogger The Rev. Shannon Kelly said...

I believe it is more like you are a real mom. I find that we all have times when we think - did I just do that? And, our kids survive and they love us and we love them. You are a great mom because you love your kids and you would do most anything for them - including getting them away from drunk people in the parking lot. Be easy on yourself, girl.

23/10/06 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are an awesome mom sara! trust me....i've dealt with lots of parents:)

25/10/06 7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so easy to list ways we have't met our own standards. Sometimes I consciously try to list and give myself credit for things that I tend not to really give myself credit for that I should. Hope you're maintaining your fast! (If not, just start another!)

5/11/06 11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats