Okay. Annoying.

I know all the crap I'm about to complain about can be explained. I know some of why it happens. Blah blah blah. I don't really care about it now - except to say that I think its bull shit and it annoys the crap out of me.
Also if any of the wonderful people who cared for Eliot in the hospital happen to reading this - I'm so glad you're reading it. This long drawn out rant has nothing to do with you. You gave us spectacular care and although I rejoice at not seeing you I miss all of you.
We went to Eliot's first clinic appointment today and all I can say is what a big fat waste of time. Oh wait. I guess that isn't all I can say 'cause I can say a whole lot more. We got off the elevator at the clinic only to find ourselves in a hallway that is also used as storage. There were no signs about where to go. We just got to wander around. Then we got to the clinic and paid $20 to find out we were going to have blood drawn (which they hadn't told us about and which meant we'd have to sit around for an hour waiting for Eliot's skin to get numb before they poked him). I'm getting to be pretty assertive (could also safely be described as bitchy) and said I didn't want them to do that because we weren't prepared and we'd be back on Thursday (yes two days later) anyway.
They also told us we'd be meeting with a nurse who isn't our usual person which pissed me off and luckily somehow we ended up getting our usual person anyway.
We waited in the waiting room for 35 minutes to get into our appointment while the waiting room filled up with tons of people. Yes we're not supposed to take Eliot out in crowds but they're happy to leave us in a full waiting room for 35 minutes. Fuckers.
We then went into our appointment where they asked us -yes they asked us if Eliot was on any new medication. Aron and I paused and kind of laughed and said 'since when.' They said, 'well, um, since your last appointment.' All I could think was, 'geez you stupid fucking idiots, um, do you think people in a CANCER clinic might probably be on new medications every freaking time they come in here.' I was also thinking, 'hmmmm....doesn't your freaking computer tell you anywhere that this is his FIRST APPOINTMENT and there weren't any OTHER appointments.' And I also thought and then did say out loud, 'this is Eliot's first appointment and yes he is on new medication. A lot of new medication. I'm surprised it isn't listed there for you.'
I mean hello people. He spent TWO WEEKS in the hospital next door. Nothing could possibly have lead you to SHARE his freaking records so you would KNOW the medications he is on since YOUR STAFF prescribed them.
Nope. They couldn't figure out what medications Eliot is on so we had to write them down from memory.
Aron, meanwhile, was decent and kind and patient. He is a total angel and never gets annoyed by any of this. I don't know how he does it. This kind of crap just makes my blood boil. If I were the only parent there today they'd probably be plotting ways to spit in food for me. I actually told the nurse (oh my gosh if Eliot were a teenager he would have crawled under the table at this point) that I'd plan to come late to all of our future appointments.
I do have to rejoice tho they didn't have us fill out a form only to be asked the same questions by 3 more people. They also didn't have every single person who walked in the room take his temperature and blood pressure and listen to his heart and lungs. That was very nice of them indeed.

1 Comments:
Reminds me of when I was pregnant and a doctor I'd never seen before mixed up the current pregnancy with a previous miscarriage.
It was disconcerting in that time frame how much of my history I had to inform health care providers of. Since then they've computerized more and it makes a difference, though obviously not enough in your case!
Bad enough for anybody, worse in a more serious situation, then think of the people who aren't likely to have the where-with-all to give good info about their history or meds.
Post a Comment
<< Home