12.25.2007

From Amelia

Amelia is my sister Laurie's awesome partner and has been the kids nanny for the past several months.

A year ago Laurie had just visited me in Oakland a month before and we were tortured by 1500 miles of distance. I'd just connected with you, Sara, about applying to universities in the twin cities because many of them had religious affiliations which scared me. Growing up in the Bible Belt and not being a believer made me quite nervous about these schools. Laurie mentioned you'd attended one and knew about another, so I emailed you. We'd just sort-of met, you and me. You were very helpful and reasurring and accepting, which was incredible.
I can't remember how I knew something was wrong with Eliot that day but I did. So I emailed you about how I hoped Eliot was okay. And you told Laurie you'd wait for her to tell me what was going on. Laurie called later that night. She said he had a blood transfusion and Heather seemed nervous about that treatment, and that it couldn't be good.
My only connection to the kids at this point was that I got to see Laurie's reaction when you and Nancy were pregnant. And Laurie getting to be an auntie. She was so freaking excited. She told EVERYONE. I remember Laurie scheduling her life plans around when you and Nancy had kids. I remember thinking in 2003, "I'll never get Laurie to move to CA because of those kids and those sisters." It was a bittersweet realization because I knew she was happy.
And then suddenly Laurie was back in my life last winter. I'd seen pictures of the kids and I'd emailed with you. Suddenly I had plans to MOVE to MINNESOTA. And Eliot had leukemia. I was deciding not to go into medical school. I was looking into social work. I was supporting Laurie emotionally over the phone. I remember saying to her, "you support Sara. I'll support you." Before I even met you all, I felt connected very quickly. It was a coincidental whirlwind for me and was quite meaningful.
Now that I'm here I've grown to know and adore all four of the kids. Many times after I've spent the day with Naomi and Eliot I come home to Laurie and I keep recalling funny and endearing things they both did. I tell Laurie, we laugh, we call the kids by the funny names they call each other. I ask Laurie for sibling relations advice. Little Eliot has broken my heart a few times during the heavy steroid weeks when he just feels awful. Whenever that happens I wonder, "how do Sara and Aron handle this? How in the world do they do it? How do they get up every day and face this pain?"
I'm utterly amazed by you four.
I'm so glad I'm here.
I'm grateful to now really know Eliot.
I'm comforted by this sense of family I have for the first time in ages.
Thanks, Sara.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats