12.21.2007

From Dawn over at Kaiser Alex

I interviewed Dawn - if anyone else wants to answer the same questions - I'd love to hear your responses!

Read all of Dawn's articulate amazingness over at her blog which I love, love, love.

What do you remember the most about the past year of The Cancer?

Well, mostly I remember that we were JUST at your house for the first time over Thanksgiving weekend. We were in the early stages of getting to be friends, and I was excited that Scout had a GUY he could talk to. Specifically a NEW guy, who he hadn't known forever.

The night I found out, I was all dressed up, in black stretchy pants and a maternity shirt I was wearing for the first time. I was going to see Grease in Chan with girls from work. I missed the phone call, but actually listened to our voicemail. (I never listen to voice mail.) It was someone from the church leaving the message that Eliot had The Cancer.

Which suddenly explained why my boss had asked just that day if anything interesting was going on at church. (She's the Canon's sister and was really trying to find out if I knew or not, without being obvious or tacky.)

I had that icky sick feeling of too much adrenaline and too little ability to do a damn thing to help. So I wrote the following email:

"Just got the call from Lou Schoen at the church. Tell us how you need us - I'm home all next week - Scout's home most of the week - I am capable of cooking, and diaper changing, and whatever else you might need (that we can actually do - I'm assume "make this go away" would top your list of needs requests right now.)
...Okay, sat here and looked at the keyboard for a few minutes and tried to think of something to say that wasn't trite, complete BS or just plain stupid. Can't think of anything. This sucks, we've got your back, just tell us how best to help."

It was one of those times where I had to say something, but I ran the risk of saying the wrong thing, but I gave it a shot anyway.

The four of us were at a beginning of our friendship, and The Cancer completely changed the landscape. In the absence of The Cancer, I wonder if we would have hung out more, if we would have actually gone to church (my complete exhaustion combined with knowing you weren't going to be there took away my motivation to go. Scout's been since I've been, which is hilariously funny in it's own way.) I wonder if we would have become those cute couple friends. I wonder if The Cancer stole that from us.

Or. I wonder if The Cancer GAVE this friendship to us. If it gave Scout and I roles to play in your life, if we were supposed to be in the background helping when we could. If we put in more effort when we would have otherwise stuck our heads up the rear end of pregnancy, parenthood and moving.

What surprised you the most

I'm surprised Eliot never went in the hospital. Not because of the care he received, but because DUDE, Minnesota in the fuckin' winter time and NOT getting sick. Jump back and kiss yourself for that one.

What is the biggest question you've had about this whole crazy ass thing that you haven't asked?

eh. It's not a big question, but I'm curious what ya'll have had to do w/ vaccinations - I know you were having to postpone -


Answer to the question - yes we've had to postpone a lot of Naomi's vaccines and all of Eliot's. I'm not actually sure when we pick all of that back up again - hmmm....maybe I should figure that one out.

1 Comments:

Blogger wildknits said...

RE: vaccinations - I think the CDC has some good advice about that. For live vaccines I would guess it will be awhile.

the CDC has a great website with lots of info.

21/12/07 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats