4.14.2006

Its Not as Hard as I Like to Make it

I learn this lesson at least once a month. Things in life don't have to be hard and even with kids. Yesterday I was trying to get Eliot to come over to me to get his diaper changed. I assumed this would be a struggle. Usually I have to pick him up and put him on the diaper changing table with varying levels of struggle. Yesterday I didn't feel like picking him up - or like using the table we have downstairs - its really just too small for him. So I just said 'Eliot, please come over by mommy I'm going to change your diaper' and patted the floor. I had a little burp rag on the floor to rest his head on - why I really thought that would be helpful, I don't know. Eliot just looked at me and kept doing what he was doing. So I said it again and patted the burp rag. And again. And again.

Finally I said 'Eliot come put your head on this mat and we're going to change your diaper.' and he walked right over to me. Just like that. And he leaned over and put his forehead on the burp rag and then twisted his body around to lie down. I'm cracking up just writing this. Am I painting the picture correctly. He walked over to me, leaned over, put his forehead on the burp rag and kept it on the burp rag while getting down on his hands and knees and then twisting his head so the back of his head was on the burp rag and he was laying on the floor. Exactly what I said.

So clearly patting the floor (of course!) didn't really mean anything. Once I gave him clear instructions he did exactly what I said without question, as goofy as it was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats