6.19.2006

Naomi Sleeps Through History Making

I took this self photo right after it was announced that we officially have a female Presiding Bishop. In order to push the button on the camera it was easier to hold it upside down and as I started to edit it this morning I realized its kind of appropriate. The world was turned upside down yesterday and today we get to see what falls out of its pockets when we shake it. I was feeling last night like its kind of a bummer in a way that Naomi won't know what it is to fight for leadership. It felt last night like its kind of a metaphore that she slept through this huge thing. I realized I love that it might get boring to her when I talk about glass ceilings and other relics of my time. I wondered if she'd start to take this new world for granted. Then I realized that I hope she does. I hope she expects to really have choices in the world. I hope she expects to really take on the responsibility of having those choices and ensuring that everyone around her does too.

I think its my job and our job now to sweep up the glass of that old ceiling so the next generations don't start up the ladder with cuts in the heels of their feet. Its our job to pick up that glass and make something good of it. Its our job to break the rest of the glass ceilings that stand in the way of people of color and people of all classes. Maybe next generations will stop being worried about that darn ladder, sit together at the table and care for one another.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats