10.30.2006

Jesus





Last week Eliot was in Aron's office and pointed at the wall and said "Jesus" (jee shush). Aron and I both looked around a little and then realized he was pointing at Aron's 'Action Figure Jesus' hanging on the wall.

I started to wonder if that was the only image Eliot has for ourLordandSaviorHimself and if it is what that means in the grand scheme of things. I mean really if this is how Eliot sees Jesus is it a bad thing? Maybe its a good thing. Action Figure Jesus does, after all, have 'gliding action.'

A few days later Aron turned on the tv while hanging out with Eliot and turned the channel to one of the religious stations (and we wonder why conservative churches are growing - those freaky channels are the only ones we can count on at our house) and Eliot said 'daddy' and they sat and watched daddy work for a while. At one point they cut to a picture of Jesus presumably hanging on the wall of the church (studio) and Eliot pointed to the tv and said "Jee shush".

I felt relieved that Eliot does 'transfer' this image to other things beyond Action Figure Jesus and he sees that Jesus doesn't have wheels - at least not all the time.

Later that day Eliot saw a picture from Casino Royale sitting on the table (oh how I love Netflix even with their ads on the envelopes that I'm forever finding all over my house) and he pointed to the woman in the back of the picture and said "Jesus" (his pronunciation is getting much better".

Hmmmm....the woman in the black dress, with the long hair, standing way in the background (as it seems women are always standing way in the background) behind the man with the big gun translates in a toddlers head as Jesus. Interesting. Perhaps not so inaccurate.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andria said...

This cracked me up! My own personal fear, you see, is that Nora thinks "Gymbo the Clown," from Gymboree class, is actually God. When we go to Gymboree, there is an image of Gymbo outside; there are Gymbos on the floor and walls of the room itself, and we sing songs to Gymbo, receive kisses from Gymbo, and must bid Gymbo good-bye before we leave. I was reminded of some statistic that more preschoolers could recognize Ronald McDonald than they could Jesus. I guess if Nora ever points to a picture of Gymbo and says, "Je-shus," then I am really in trouble.

31/10/06 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats