What The Latest Tests Told Us
Eliot's bone biopsy and spinal tap (lumbar puncture) on Thursday told us a few awesome things.
When we got to the hospital something like 70% of his bone marrow was leukemic cells - on Thursday only 3% of the cells were leukemic. Yeah! This means he falls in the category of 'rapid response' and kids who respond rapidly have a better chance with all of this. It also means he won't have to get another test in a week and we can just wait until January 18th (Naomi's 1st birthday) to see whats shakin'.
They looked at the (here is where I start getting foggy on details) genetics of his disease and found he has something like TEL ALM (or as far as I'm concerned that might as well call it Taco Bell Snow Plow Yogurt) and kids who have the Taco Bell genetics tend to do better.
There is more news to come next Tuesday or Thursday when we go in for our first clinic visit. In the mean time we're going to figure out his crazy soup of medicine and play and eat and play and break up toddler/soon to be toddler fights and pray to stay home infection free.
When we got to the hospital something like 70% of his bone marrow was leukemic cells - on Thursday only 3% of the cells were leukemic. Yeah! This means he falls in the category of 'rapid response' and kids who respond rapidly have a better chance with all of this. It also means he won't have to get another test in a week and we can just wait until January 18th (Naomi's 1st birthday) to see whats shakin'.
They looked at the (here is where I start getting foggy on details) genetics of his disease and found he has something like TEL ALM (or as far as I'm concerned that might as well call it Taco Bell Snow Plow Yogurt) and kids who have the Taco Bell genetics tend to do better.
There is more news to come next Tuesday or Thursday when we go in for our first clinic visit. In the mean time we're going to figure out his crazy soup of medicine and play and eat and play and break up toddler/soon to be toddler fights and pray to stay home infection free.

4 Comments:
That's great news!!!!
Sara,
Words fail to express the jumble of emotion I have felt reading this blog - which is why I haven't written anything here, in public, as it were.
Words fail.
Simply. Utterly.
I suppose all of what you and your family have been going through has tapped deeply into a place in my heart that is still healing.
I know 'scared to death' when I see it.
Know it 'up close and personal.'
I also know 'exhausted,'
'half-crazed with anxiety,'
'I had no idea . .. '
'just trying to live life as the fear of death lurks around the corner'
'pushing away the dreadful, but- what-if's'
and, living in the land of the faithful question: 'Can I risk hope?'
I have taken all these things as I have read your blog and fashioned them into the deep, deep groans and moanings of prayers that only the Spirit hears and takes directly to the heart of Jesus.'
I also know 'joy' when I see it, and, my heart right now is soaring on the wings of joy and hope and bliss for you and your family.
Because the 'joy' of which you write in this post and that of yesterday is that which, like the peace of God, passes all human understanding.
It is the joy that brings tears to your eyes - the kind of tears that start as an intense feeling in that space behind your eyes and drops the heavy syrup of humanity down the back of your throat.
You begin to swallow hard as the tears well up and dance around the lids of your eyes and spill silently onto your face.
It's the 'joy that comes in the morning' after the 'dark night of the soul.'
I know this place as well and it is not any easier to write of it, either.
Know that you have been and will continue to be lifted up in prayer by countless members in the Body of Christ, who have held our breath and prayed silently and now rejoice with you.
Know that you are loved.
I love you.
From deep in my mother's heart.
This is the kind of wonderful news we have been praying and hoping for!!!!
I have a feeling Eliot is going to be a "rapid responder" in many aspects of his life! Look out world!
Love,
Joe and Ken
Yaaahooooo! Yeah Eliot!!!! Have fun being home! This is great news. We love you so much!!! Prayers work! Yippeee- I guess this is a good thing for a seminarian to understand. See all the important stuff Eliot is teaching me! :)
Love,
kesh
Post a Comment
<< Home