Today's Update
We had a great day today. Aron and I were here with Eliot for a majority of the day because he had his second spinal tap and bone marrow biopsy. Eliot went through the procedure with flying colors. It is now eight pm and we haven't heard the final news on what they learned. We still might learn later tonight - I'm starting to guess it will be tomorrow before we learn.
The talk all day has continued to be about leaving tomorrow.
I also asked the doctor today what the likelihood is that Eliot will make it through his treatment without an infection (and thus a minimum 48 hour stay in the hospital). He said most kids do end up back here.
That sent me into a bit of a slump today. I had been living with the naive delusion that we could prevent this (most infections aren't caused by colds - they're caused by stuff happening in his body over which we have very little control) and realistically think we wouldn't be back again.
I pray that we get to go home and stay home because of great health. I now live in a colder, darker, more realistic world in which that probably won't happen and if we are back its probably not my fault (which does take a load off).
We're going to need to be careful when we go home. The last thing we want is for him to come down with a cold that sends our lives into chaos again and sends Eliot back here only to find out its a cold.
The talk all day has continued to be about leaving tomorrow.
I also asked the doctor today what the likelihood is that Eliot will make it through his treatment without an infection (and thus a minimum 48 hour stay in the hospital). He said most kids do end up back here.
That sent me into a bit of a slump today. I had been living with the naive delusion that we could prevent this (most infections aren't caused by colds - they're caused by stuff happening in his body over which we have very little control) and realistically think we wouldn't be back again.
I pray that we get to go home and stay home because of great health. I now live in a colder, darker, more realistic world in which that probably won't happen and if we are back its probably not my fault (which does take a load off).
We're going to need to be careful when we go home. The last thing we want is for him to come down with a cold that sends our lives into chaos again and sends Eliot back here only to find out its a cold.

2 Comments:
Hi Sara and Aron, I just heard the news yesterday and have been digesting since then... I imagine my reaction was a mini version of what you must have gone through. Namely, "What??!!??!!" and then "But, how??????"
At home, Dan wants to focus on the positive "That's GREAT that they've cured this before. That's good news." but I can't shake the sadness I feel for your family and the trauma of the last 2 weeks.
It sounds like the news of probable infection was pretty demoralizing. I don't blame you. But if you can skip over the treatments, the infections, the hospital stays and just focus on the goal, maybe it will help. Forget about the next year. Just for now. Think about Eliot healthy, at 4 years old. Free from pain, uninhibited. Think of picnics and vacations and watching movies at home. Think of him strong, playing soccer, picking on his sister, making science projects.
You guys are going through a hell no family should have to... but remember the goal. Cling to that goal!!
Sara and Aron, Our oldest daughter worked for a peds oncologist at the U and later in research at Gillette. The cure rate is very high at the U she tells me. Hang on to that thought during your crappy times...You're in our thoughts and prayers..
gloria
Post a Comment
<< Home