1.04.2007

Humbled. Stunned. Grateful.

I caught myself crying after putting Eliot to bed tonight. I had to ask myself why I was crying. It wasn't because the kiss I'd just planted on Eliot was literally wiped off a second later by him (they said he'd start acting like a teenager). Its wasn't because I'm exhausted. Today I'm much less exhausted than I've been. Its wasn't because Eliot is sick. I don't think of him that way either because I'm naive, clueless, in total and utter denial, focusing on him being him and not whether he is sick or not, convinced that today he is more healthy than he has been in a while or perhaps a little bit of all of those. I realized I was crying because I'm so blown away by the support we've been given since going to the hospital with Eliot.

People from New York City to Pasadena, California and Geneva, Switzerland to El Salvador are praying for us and have said they'll leave Eliot and/or our whole family on their prayer list for the duration of his treatment. We've received a huge and humbling outpouring of financial gifts (as of today now $2250). Numerous people have made us delicious, nutritious, easy to warm up, easy to freeze meals and brought them to our house. Several people from the church made a schedule and have arrived magically just around the time the kids are ready to eat. They visit for a few minutes, they bring food in containers I don't need to remember to return, they say hopeful things and they go home. We've had countless offers to watch Naomi or Eliot or both of them. We've had offers to help us clean our house, to listen to us cry or scream or answer questions. I've spent a minimum of 20 minutes a day responding to hopeful and supportive emails each day and I haven't even responded to all of them. People have left comments on the blog (oh how I love comments) and others have emailed me directly and told me they read every day (oh how I love return readers).

I'm blown away. I feel in some ways like I've had a chance to see my own funeral. And its a good thing. I see the wide net of people who are kind and generous and willing to help me and Aron and the kids and I'm positively humbled. I'm blown away. I'm lifted up. I'm stunned. I'm so fortunate.

I'm brought to tears.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You deserve some happy tears : )

Dawn

5/1/07 6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara & Family
We are praying for you.....wishing and wondering what Charlie & I could do for you as your Mom was there for us when My mother Clara was so very sick..Please know that we love you and if you need anything please let us know.
Your "other" Mom & Dad
Love, LaVonne & Charlie

5/1/07 10:15 AM  
Blogger Jess P. said...

We love you and miss you.

5/1/07 3:07 PM  
Blogger Caminante said...

And your note brings tears to my eyes, too. Prayers continue from Vermont (and El Salvador when I get there, smile). Lee

5/1/07 4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We read your message every day and you are never far from our thought's. As a new friend I feel like there is so little we can do for your family. It surely is a trip you didn't plan...Lifes little treats suck...Tell Masonic to get there act together. I worked there for 10 years. I'm sure everyybody I worked with is long gone. If you run into Robin Johnson, Rn tell her to get her act together...over there.

5/1/07 8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey folks, it's really cool when God sends us reminders of how much people love us...and how much God loves us, isn't it? Let me add two more communities of faith that have you all in their prayers. There is a dinky Presbyterian church in south central Wisconsin and a slightly larger Presbyterian church in upstate New York.
Say "hi" to the bishop for me. (Sure wish I had a bishop to call my own!)

Uncle Tee Wee

5/1/07 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats