Reconsidering
So I'm a waffler it seems. I guess there go all my hopes for the Presidency.
I've been encouraged by a few folks whose opinions I really respect to stay public with this blog.
I'm all over the place about it. If I do in fact write a book this stuff will in fact be very public. Still it seems a lot easier to link and access on-line than in public and (yes this is super stupid) pedophiles seem more into the Internet than books (gosh that is stupid).
The woman who said those things about me didn't actually link to THIS blog and the picture she posted is one SHE took so that could have happened with or without this blog.
So I'm just floating around out here in indecision mode.
In the mean time - wow I'm blown away by the people who have written to ask for access. Two people have written who I don't know at all. Wow! Wow! That is so cool!
I've been encouraged by a few folks whose opinions I really respect to stay public with this blog.
I'm all over the place about it. If I do in fact write a book this stuff will in fact be very public. Still it seems a lot easier to link and access on-line than in public and (yes this is super stupid) pedophiles seem more into the Internet than books (gosh that is stupid).
The woman who said those things about me didn't actually link to THIS blog and the picture she posted is one SHE took so that could have happened with or without this blog.
So I'm just floating around out here in indecision mode.
In the mean time - wow I'm blown away by the people who have written to ask for access. Two people have written who I don't know at all. Wow! Wow! That is so cool!

5 Comments:
Our daughter does not post pix of their child online and uses a code name in her live journal. She does not allow the school to use the picture in their publications either. I don't think this is overly paranoid in days like these. You have your own public blog for thoughts about the kids - that seems sufficient. Those wanting more news can ask to read this one. My 2 cents.
Sara, I think your concerns are real. This blog is tied to your real identity--people who read it can see your business, Aron's workplace, and you've written enough about the neighborhood nightclub next door that it would be easy enough to figure out where you live. That, to me, is a little scary.
I think a way to balance the need for safety and the desire to share and be open would be if you continue to write in your blog, and keep that open, but keep the pictures of the kids, and specific stories about them on the private blog. On your public blog, I would be a little more circumspect about exactly where you live, the identity of your kids, etc.
At the same time, I don't think anything would really happen if you keep both blogs open.
Anyway, this is my 2cents.
amandar
Or not.
Part of living in the world as a Christian is hearing Christ's message to FEAR NOT. Standing up. There is validity there too. Sometimes ya just gotta stand up and share your truth. This blog does that in public.
Whether this is or is not one of those moments is the question.
Brad
I'm with Brad. I think that we've forgotton how easy we were to find and bother before we got cell phones, computers, GPS systems, and all the rest. It seems dangerously easy now, but remember when most of us were "in the book?" Not so long ago.
Your words, pictures, and ideas are wonderful, a gift to people you don't know and happen upon you. I think it's a loss to the world if you put up a barrier. It doesn't make any of us safer, just a bit farther away from each other.
My 17-1/2 cents.
Go with your gut on this. You know how to protect your children and how to feel safe. Pictures on-line can be risky. Your book will not have pictures of your kids for anyone to download, etc. Just go with your gut. I'm considering making mine private, too if that's any help.
Post a Comment
<< Home