This is How Tired I Am
I haven't had a nap in a few days. I've been up until at least 11 the past few days and woken for at least an hour in the night and then been awake at 5 am. Aron let me stay in bed until 8am yesterday morning.
Despite his chivalry. Yes. That is modern day chivalry in my book. I'm tired.
I'm so tired that last night when we invited our neighbors over for awesome shaped pancakes (which Aron made, more modern day chivalry there for you) we forgot to give them forks with which to eat.
They sat politely waiting at the table. I commented about how we didn't have syrup and the pancakes were just so cool we had to show someone. Aron wrote all of our names and made cars and trucks and special body parts for me. There was a turkey baster involved. It was great.
They still sat politely not eating while Naomi stuffed her face full and Eliot had a little melt down.
I could not for the life of me figure out why they weren't eating their pancakes.
Finally. Probably when their pancakes were cold they dug in.
Just now. At 4am it finally occurred to me.
We never gave them forks.
Just plates with pancakes.
No forks. No butter. No syrup. We never even offered them anything to drink.
Part of that can be blamed on my utter lack of hostess skills.
Okay. I admit a good part can be blamed on that.
The rest. Mainly the fork part and the nearly 7 hours to figure that one out - can be blamed on sheer exhaustion.
Nice!
Despite his chivalry. Yes. That is modern day chivalry in my book. I'm tired.
I'm so tired that last night when we invited our neighbors over for awesome shaped pancakes (which Aron made, more modern day chivalry there for you) we forgot to give them forks with which to eat.
They sat politely waiting at the table. I commented about how we didn't have syrup and the pancakes were just so cool we had to show someone. Aron wrote all of our names and made cars and trucks and special body parts for me. There was a turkey baster involved. It was great.
They still sat politely not eating while Naomi stuffed her face full and Eliot had a little melt down.
I could not for the life of me figure out why they weren't eating their pancakes.
Finally. Probably when their pancakes were cold they dug in.
Just now. At 4am it finally occurred to me.
We never gave them forks.
Just plates with pancakes.
No forks. No butter. No syrup. We never even offered them anything to drink.
Part of that can be blamed on my utter lack of hostess skills.
Okay. I admit a good part can be blamed on that.
The rest. Mainly the fork part and the nearly 7 hours to figure that one out - can be blamed on sheer exhaustion.
Nice!

3 Comments:
I'm with you - "Why did you let me sleep so long?" is the new "I love you" (especially when "so long" is now anything over 3 hours, 4 if we're being REALLY decadent).
Bottom line - they could have ASKED for forks :)
Thanks for giving me stuff to read at 444am : )
Right on - why didn't they ask for forks as they sat observing all that was going on?...Unless your neighbors are under 5 yrs old.
Bottom line - put your watch away and stop measuring your days by the clock - Eliot is doing awesome because you and Aron are managing to find the resilience within yourselves to provide him with a safe, germfree environment to fight this ugly disease. Naomi is bouncing along as a 1 yr. should in spite of all the tough stuff.
I for one celebrate your intelligence and perseverance - now, stop beating your self up! Stop feeling you need to make excuses for yourself and forgetting about forks! Good grief! Take it one day at a time, or better - one hour at a time. Why all the attention to the clock? Let it go! It only makes things more painful and much LOOOOnger!
One of many Sara McGinley fans - Vicki :)
Really - in my house people always have to go foraging for what they need -- good grief - ask for what you need "friends of tired parents."
Post a Comment
<< Home