3 Years 2 Months 11 Days
That is how long I've been the parent of at least one child whose heart is beating outside of my body.
That is how long I've been afraid that 1 or 2 of my children would fall down the steps with or without me.
3 years 2 months 10 days is how long I lived as a parent with at least one child whose heart is beating outside of my body who hadn't fallen down the steps.
It happened today.
Naomi fell down the basement steps.
She cried.
She fell about 3/4 of the way down.
Thank goodness it was the basement steps that had a lot of laundry on them.
She has a bruise on her face.
She cried.
She didn't cry as much as I thought she would.
She didn't bleed.
It wasn't as loud or as terrifying as I thought it would be.
She didn't face plant from 10 feet up right onto the edge of a step and have one of her eyes explode (that has been my fear - well I used a bit of hyperbole there - still the face-plant part has been my fear).
She rolled down the steps and was clearly scared and cried and now she has a bruise on her face.
And she is okay.
We all lived through it.
I'd like it for that to be the one and only time one of my kiddos falls down the steps.
It was enough for me.
That is how long I've been afraid that 1 or 2 of my children would fall down the steps with or without me.
3 years 2 months 10 days is how long I lived as a parent with at least one child whose heart is beating outside of my body who hadn't fallen down the steps.
It happened today.
Naomi fell down the basement steps.
She cried.
She fell about 3/4 of the way down.
Thank goodness it was the basement steps that had a lot of laundry on them.
She has a bruise on her face.
She cried.
She didn't cry as much as I thought she would.
She didn't bleed.
It wasn't as loud or as terrifying as I thought it would be.
She didn't face plant from 10 feet up right onto the edge of a step and have one of her eyes explode (that has been my fear - well I used a bit of hyperbole there - still the face-plant part has been my fear).
She rolled down the steps and was clearly scared and cried and now she has a bruise on her face.
And she is okay.
We all lived through it.
I'd like it for that to be the one and only time one of my kiddos falls down the steps.
It was enough for me.

2 Comments:
i think it scared us more than it scared naomi. i was so surprised to see her disappear down the stairs.
Ack! My poor poor Naomi! I suppose she just looks as bad ass on the outside as she is on the inside now.
Post a Comment
<< Home