A Birth Today
10 months ago today Eliot was diagnosed with Leukemia.
10 months.
That is the length of a pregnancy (for all of you out there who haven't been pregnant that is one of those things they don't tell you - its not 9 months - its 10 - that one shocked the hell out of me).
Today I feel like something was birthed.
Eliot and I went to the clinic and we were LESS anxious than most of the staff (a lot of their staff is at a conference and there are a lot of new people around - they were all a bit hyper).
We laughed A LOT there.
We even spent some time on the floor in the hallway laughing our butts off.
Then we went to McDonald's and sat in a booth and had lunch together and laughed and laughed.
10 months ago I was so shocked and heart-broken and terrified.
Now we have this relaxed, normal-ish, so-much-less-intense-I-can't-believe-it life.
Eliot has hair, enough to curl a little. He is so tall and kid-like its amazing. Naomi is walking and talking.
I rarely have to carry both of them at the same time anymore.
This past week 2 things happened that haven't happened since Eliot was diagnosed.
Eliot bumped his lip on the gate upstairs.
When that happened less than a week before he was diagnosed he got a huge blood blister.
I also went to the Oriental market in our neighborhood. Aron, the kids and I did that the Friday before Eliot was diagnosed.
It feels full-circle. It feels full. We're back to territory in life that 10 months ago I didn't know if I'd ever see again.
10 months.
That is the length of a pregnancy (for all of you out there who haven't been pregnant that is one of those things they don't tell you - its not 9 months - its 10 - that one shocked the hell out of me).
Today I feel like something was birthed.
Eliot and I went to the clinic and we were LESS anxious than most of the staff (a lot of their staff is at a conference and there are a lot of new people around - they were all a bit hyper).
We laughed A LOT there.
We even spent some time on the floor in the hallway laughing our butts off.
Then we went to McDonald's and sat in a booth and had lunch together and laughed and laughed.
10 months ago I was so shocked and heart-broken and terrified.
Now we have this relaxed, normal-ish, so-much-less-intense-I-can't-believe-it life.
Eliot has hair, enough to curl a little. He is so tall and kid-like its amazing. Naomi is walking and talking.
I rarely have to carry both of them at the same time anymore.
This past week 2 things happened that haven't happened since Eliot was diagnosed.
Eliot bumped his lip on the gate upstairs.
When that happened less than a week before he was diagnosed he got a huge blood blister.
I also went to the Oriental market in our neighborhood. Aron, the kids and I did that the Friday before Eliot was diagnosed.
It feels full-circle. It feels full. We're back to territory in life that 10 months ago I didn't know if I'd ever see again.

5 Comments:
TEN months???? Say more about that.
an amazing journey
an amazing journey
an amazing journey
yeah, mine was 10.5. I correct hubs every time he says nine.
Post a Comment
<< Home