1.15.2008

Totem Stuff

I started learning about Totem animals when an amazing little girl was born in Duluth and a bear suddenly started showing up.

When the kids were born I watched some for animals.

Eliot was showered with bugs before he was born and I though perhaps the dragonfly would be his totem bug.

Then the night he was baptised there was the most incredible display of northern lights I've ever seen and many other people have ever seen. And I started to wonder about the night sky.

Shortly before Naomi was born rabbits started showing up around our house in larger numbers. The morning we left for the hospital a rabbit came up to our sliding glass window and stood there for some time. Since then I've wondered about her and rabbits.

As Aron and I drove Eliot to the hospital last year as we feared the worst for him a rabbit crossed 4 lanes of traffic, raced in front of the car and then stood on the side of the road looking at us.

I felt as if it was a little bit of Naomi there with us. Watching us. Being with us. Reminding us we'd be okay.

Lately there are tons of rabbit tracks in our front yard. Naomi will be 2 on Friday. It feels right.

I heard today that an 11 year Sun Dog cycle is beginning - Eliot, Naomi, my mom and I saw a sun dog the other day.

They also said in Alaska and Canada they've seen the aurora borealis every night this year.

In this gigantic time of change for our whole family I feel like the kids are being watched over.

And its a comfort.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

We have a whole lot of rabbit poop in our backyard. Izza spent some time "cleaning it up" today. She gave up after about 5 tries and decided that the rabbits should come clean up the poop since they were the ones who had pooped it. Maybe Naomi would like to come help them.



**Your post is really beautiful. I just couldn't help myself when I read about the rabbits. Naomi loves that disgusting stuff!

15/1/08 9:45 PM  
Blogger Jess P. said...

Addie's animal is the wolf. I've seen one twice in my life (other than semi tame ones people have had as pets). The first time was when I was very newly pregnant with her. The second time was in the car on the way to daycare. The wolf just fits Addie's personality too.

Lily... I don't know about her animal.

16/1/08 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

about Eliot's totem...both the dragonfly and the northern lights are considered the spirits of the ancestors in the native tradition.
However, I think you're right about the bugs. Consider if the spider is his totem. You've talked about how much he dreams of spiders. When I was on my vision quest last spring I prayed daily for his health. Each day as I prayed for him I was led to a spider web that glistened with the morning dew. Despite storms and strong winds that web remained for the 5 days I was out.

17/1/08 2:31 PM  
Blogger xb blog said...

im an old bull.

20/1/08 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats