Pride and PBS
At Eliot's last appointment (which was over a week ago now) he sat on the bed in the infusion area, watching PBS on a tv that has reception and as usual couldn't look away. Naomi was along for the ride since Aron was out of town and she was sitting on my lap cowering saying, 'No poke Nomi's finger, no poke Nomi's finger, no shot Nomi, no shot Nomi.' She is not a fan of her own clinic and clearly Eliot's clinic reeked of medical realities and she wanted nothing of it.
Eliot's awesome doctor Dr. Burke came in and sat down on the bed and talked directly to Eliot. He sat down and told Eliot he looks great, that his hair is looking great and that he is doing really well. Eliot held his blanket and watched tv. I didn't quite realize that the doctor was trying to talk to Eliot and I kept budding in. And then I quit doing it.
Dr. Burke went on to tell Eliot a few times that he is really proud of him, while Eliot kept watching tv.
I'm tearing up just writing it.
Since when does my son have a doctor who has any reason to be proud of him - like a real, live reason to be proud of him. Not a usual reason a doctor would be proud like 'way to go you got weighed without crying, or you got a little shot without crying or you pooped in the potty (which by the way Eliot has been doing - and wiping too!).
Eliot has a doctor who has many good reasons to be proud of him. And he sat down on the bed and told him that. And if I'm going to paint the whole picture I have to say that I love Eliot's doctors, all of them. I love that his doctors sit down and talk to HIM and tell him beautiful things. And I love that Eliot doesn't even really care that its happening and feels so comfortable (or so it seems) at the clinic that he just hangs out and takes advantage of kiddie cable tv.
And hearing Dr. Burke talk to Eliot like that made another piece of the whole shitty reality hit in. My kid is a freaking cancer patient. A cancer patient. He is a cancer patient. My son take chemo every night when I give it to him. He gets constipated because of other chemo they give him, that I sit and watch the put into his veins. What the hell happened? How in the hell did that happen.
Eliot's awesome doctor Dr. Burke came in and sat down on the bed and talked directly to Eliot. He sat down and told Eliot he looks great, that his hair is looking great and that he is doing really well. Eliot held his blanket and watched tv. I didn't quite realize that the doctor was trying to talk to Eliot and I kept budding in. And then I quit doing it.
Dr. Burke went on to tell Eliot a few times that he is really proud of him, while Eliot kept watching tv.
I'm tearing up just writing it.
Since when does my son have a doctor who has any reason to be proud of him - like a real, live reason to be proud of him. Not a usual reason a doctor would be proud like 'way to go you got weighed without crying, or you got a little shot without crying or you pooped in the potty (which by the way Eliot has been doing - and wiping too!).
Eliot has a doctor who has many good reasons to be proud of him. And he sat down on the bed and told him that. And if I'm going to paint the whole picture I have to say that I love Eliot's doctors, all of them. I love that his doctors sit down and talk to HIM and tell him beautiful things. And I love that Eliot doesn't even really care that its happening and feels so comfortable (or so it seems) at the clinic that he just hangs out and takes advantage of kiddie cable tv.
And hearing Dr. Burke talk to Eliot like that made another piece of the whole shitty reality hit in. My kid is a freaking cancer patient. A cancer patient. He is a cancer patient. My son take chemo every night when I give it to him. He gets constipated because of other chemo they give him, that I sit and watch the put into his veins. What the hell happened? How in the hell did that happen.

2 Comments:
cry cry cry
He does look beautiful. He's a miracle.
What a journey you all have been on. Obviously Naomi has taken a lot in over this last year. They both are beautiful. Soon you can say " He was a cancer patient'"
gloria
Post a Comment
<< Home