How Does Anyone Live to 96
I've been amazed at how much fear is put into the minds and hearts of parents these days. We're told not to put our children to bed on their stomachs because they might die in their sleep. We're told to cut up our hot dogs and grapes and cheese and meat and all other food that might choke them into little tiny pieces until they're at least 32 years old. Or they might die. We're told to helmet and wrist guard and sun screen our children before they ride a bike. Or they might die or at the very least get broken.
I've laughed about a lot of that. Honestly. How did anyone in my generation and certainly others in generations past live to be 6 much less 96 like my Great Aunt Mary did just a week ago. She passed away this week. Which I think in the end was a good thing for her. She was the coolest. She owned a candy store. I mean. Honestly. Is there anyone cooler than someone who actually owned a candy store.
Today I've watched some of the stuff about the shooting at Virginia Tech. I can't really stand to watch. I keep thinking about how Eliot could make it through all of this only someday to have something insane like that happen to him. I keep thinking of Naomi. It seems lately its always the girls they're going after. Sigh.
I know its not worth focusing on. Is a pointless exercise in creating insanity.
Still. Life. It feels fragile. It feels fragile in all of its stubborn sturdiness.
I've laughed about a lot of that. Honestly. How did anyone in my generation and certainly others in generations past live to be 6 much less 96 like my Great Aunt Mary did just a week ago. She passed away this week. Which I think in the end was a good thing for her. She was the coolest. She owned a candy store. I mean. Honestly. Is there anyone cooler than someone who actually owned a candy store.
Today I've watched some of the stuff about the shooting at Virginia Tech. I can't really stand to watch. I keep thinking about how Eliot could make it through all of this only someday to have something insane like that happen to him. I keep thinking of Naomi. It seems lately its always the girls they're going after. Sigh.
I know its not worth focusing on. Is a pointless exercise in creating insanity.
Still. Life. It feels fragile. It feels fragile in all of its stubborn sturdiness.

1 Comments:
Amen.
Post a Comment
<< Home