Shit Shit Shit Shit Shit Shit SHIT
At the very last moment when we thought we made it through this first six months basically scott free (what in the world does scott free mean?) we haven't made it through.
We've become so cocky after all of these weeks of Eliot doing so well that we went wild and planned a 2 night (YES 2 NIGHTS) trip away from home, away from the city, away from the kids.
Our plan was to leave in less than an hour.
Eliot has been doing so well, he hasn't taken chemo for 8 days, we almost even skipped his appointment today so we could have an even longer trip away.
Luckily we didn't do that.
Aron just called from the clinic. For the first time since he was in the hospital Eliot needs to get a transfusion.
Today. Today of all days. When we were going away.
When we were going away together without the kids for the first time since Eliot was born.
This is nothing to be alarmed about. Its expected. Its not a surprise. Its especially fine since Eliot has been feeling so good.
In the doctors words - its more of a surprise that this hasn't happened sooner.
So we'll take Eliot back to the clinic today at 1pm - 1pm when Aron and I were supposed to be eating lunch at the New Scenic Cafe and playing footsie.
I'm guessing we'll be at the clinic for 2 - 3 hours.
By then it will be rush hour.
I don't know what it means for at least this night of our weekend away.
Now is one of those times when I should remind myself how lucky we've been. This is the first time. We're so close to the end. Eliot feels well. Next week starts maintenance.
I don't feel lucky right now. I feel really bummed. I feel really sad. I feel really surprised.
Someday I'll feel lucky that this only happened once. Sometimes it happens so often for kids that their bodies start to resist other people's blood - or they at least have to get concerned about that.
That hasn't happened to us. And for that we are lucky.
I just don't feel lucky at all right now.
Shit
Shit
Shit
Shit
Shit
Shit
SHIT!
We've become so cocky after all of these weeks of Eliot doing so well that we went wild and planned a 2 night (YES 2 NIGHTS) trip away from home, away from the city, away from the kids.
Our plan was to leave in less than an hour.
Eliot has been doing so well, he hasn't taken chemo for 8 days, we almost even skipped his appointment today so we could have an even longer trip away.
Luckily we didn't do that.
Aron just called from the clinic. For the first time since he was in the hospital Eliot needs to get a transfusion.
Today. Today of all days. When we were going away.
When we were going away together without the kids for the first time since Eliot was born.
This is nothing to be alarmed about. Its expected. Its not a surprise. Its especially fine since Eliot has been feeling so good.
In the doctors words - its more of a surprise that this hasn't happened sooner.
So we'll take Eliot back to the clinic today at 1pm - 1pm when Aron and I were supposed to be eating lunch at the New Scenic Cafe and playing footsie.
I'm guessing we'll be at the clinic for 2 - 3 hours.
By then it will be rush hour.
I don't know what it means for at least this night of our weekend away.
Now is one of those times when I should remind myself how lucky we've been. This is the first time. We're so close to the end. Eliot feels well. Next week starts maintenance.
I don't feel lucky right now. I feel really bummed. I feel really sad. I feel really surprised.
Someday I'll feel lucky that this only happened once. Sometimes it happens so often for kids that their bodies start to resist other people's blood - or they at least have to get concerned about that.
That hasn't happened to us. And for that we are lucky.
I just don't feel lucky at all right now.
Shit
Shit
Shit
Shit
Shit
Shit
SHIT!

5 Comments:
Oh S & A - I am so sorry about this! It is a huge disappointment no matter how much you can look to the future and know that it will only be a small blip on the screen compared to what has gone before - or even after! Take some deep breathes, we just never know how the Holy Spirit is helping us out when these things happen - maybe never will, maybe it's only for perspective. Bummer!
Time for some lemonade! Love you all! Vicki/Mom
PS - after reading your entry I scrolled down just a bit and found that sweet picture of our wee waif among the leaves - sweet one! :)
oh man, how disappointing. Duluth is insane today - it's Grandma's marathon weekend. Total chaos.
F and F and more f's in a row.
It sucks....It's sucks...
I know if He brings you to He will bring you through it but does it have to be such a bumpy ride???
gloria
tough stuff
Post a Comment
<< Home