School

On my run this morning I ran by our local elementary school during the time of the day when kids are dropped off by buses and parents.
Every time I run by at that time of the day my heart feels a little squooshed.
Someday I'll take my kids to school.
I'm full of so many emotions about that whole time in their lives.
If I'm honest it will be such a relief to have them somewhere for large chunks of time so I can work or rest or do whatever I might someday do during that time.
Mostly tho I worry.
They are such precious people.
And I loved school. Absolutely loved school. I loved it so much that I miss it a lot now and fantasize about going back to become Dr. Sara something.
I also feel like school is kind of a sucky place for a little soul.
All of the rows and wasted time and general crowding and bullies and just all of that stuff that happens there.
I feel protective of them.
Its silly. And its not.
And thank goodness its not happening in the next year.
I get to practice watching them go and get built up and squooshed down and freed and trained and all of that school-y kind of stuff.
Thank God there is time between now and then.

1 Comments:
It's not silly at all. In fact it's great that you are noticing the time you have now, and enjoying it, because oh boy it all speeds up once you hit school. School's good in many ways--I love reading the same chapter books as my daughter, like Harry Potter, and I love the conversations we can have now--but the time just flies. I've started to look at middle schools for next year for my 5th grader (there's an enrollment lottery in the SF public schools so we get to put down choices) and the feelings you mention in your post are very similar at this new level. Maybe we never stop wanting to keep our children home safe in the nest. Except it's not really the point, is it?
Wonderful pictures of the kids. I was a little concerned when you stopped posting for a few days, so glad the read it's on track to get to maintenance treatment.
Post a Comment
<< Home