5.26.2009

dreams

I've been putting off writing this one for a while.

It is so sad and encouraging to me that I've wanted to write it. Somehow writing it makes it really real too...so I haven't done it. Until now.

I really wanted to do it right away so I'd have the exact date that it happened. But I didn't do that. So now I have lost the date. Such is life.

On many mornings we ask the kids if they had dreams the night before. They often say yes and when we ask them what they were about they look around the room and clearly make up dreams based on what they see.

For example we might ask Naomi what she drempt and she'll look at the floor and see a toy truck and one ballerina slipper and say, "I had a dream about a truck and a ballerina slipper." Super creative like that.

Recently. Maybe 2 weeks ago Eliot offered up his dream from the night before. He wasn't provoked. No one asked him. I was even writing something on the computer I think when he casually said he'd had a dream that night before.

Here is how he explained it:

Mama. I had a dream last night that I was trying to take my medicine and the pills were falling all over the floor and I couldn't get all of them. Then you came in with a glass of water and I could get all of them and take them.

That is all. That was it. He shared it. No strong emotion one way or another. He seemed glad or maybe relieved that I showed up with the water and he could take the pills.

It broke my heart a little bit though. He is having dreams about pills. Anxiety dreams (at least that is how I hear it).

Lately he is taking an antibiotic for a cough he had for several weeks.

Every Thursday he has had to take 19 pills.

On every other day it is somewhere between 11 and 13. Every day for 3 weeks.

On other days he takes either 3 or 4 or 11 pills.

And he dreams about it.

My 4 year old dreams about taking chemotherapy.

Sigh.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andria said...

Oh, poor Eliot. 19 pills.

I'm impressed that he really understands what dreams are and reports them to you.

I loved the post about the kids eating babies out of thin air. Ha!

3/6/09 11:54 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I have only just now realized that you are blogging again!

I have loved all these entries. Some made me cry. And when your children ate babies I laughed my butt off.

6/7/09 9:00 PM  
Blogger joie said...

Sarah- I just happened to check and see if you are back and you are. I hope all is well for you and your family and especially for Eliot. Patrick and Naomi have the same color hair. I saw a picture of her on Aaron's blog. Are you at GC?

13/7/09 12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats